The city of Varaždin is one of the 127 cities in Croatia. The head is the Mayor, elected in direct local elections (May 2013) for a period of four years.
During his mandate, the Mayor is a professional.
As an executive power, apart from the Mayer, the City Council makes decisions as a representative body of citizens and as a local self government.
After the direct local elections, which were held on 19 May 2013, 25 members of the City Council were elected; 20 male members and 5 female members, also for a period of four years.
Responsibilities of the City
Regulation of suburbs and apartments, regional and urban planning, economy of utilities, children care, primary health care upbringing and education, culture, sport, physical culture, consumers protection, natural environment improvement, civil and fire-prevention protection, traffic, public roads maintenance, issuing building and location licenses
City municipality tasks are divided in seven city departments
- City Department of Major's Affairs
- City department of public utilities and urban development
- City department of finance, budget and public procurement
- City department of economy, tourism and international cooperation
- City department of urban planning, building and environmental protection
- City department of public services
- City department of city council, local self-government boards and general affairs